Fall Must Haves for the Office
Dressing for the office can be altogether daunting. Finding the balance between your personal style and what is office-appropriate is often enough to make your weekly morning head spin!
I’m a talent and production coordinator, and also a freelance stylist now, but my first job required a very corporate dress code. I was working for an entertainment public relations firm that required a polished look 24/7, from conservative pencil skirts for lunch meetings with clients to LBDs for red carpet events after work. When I made the switch from PR to talent and production management, however, not all of my corporate clothing survived the transition. My dress code was, and still is, a bit more relaxed. Bouncing from business meetings to music video sets, I still try to balance what’s corporate-appropriate with my love for vintage boho. When shopping for work-friendly clothing I look for pieces that are universal, transition well from work to play, and fashionable yet comfortable enough to last through long days on production sets. Here are my top five fall must haves for the office:
1. Peplum Tank: Pair with a slimming pencil skirt, blazer and add a metallic skinny belt to create the perfect fall office appropriate dress or combine a peplum tank with your favorite boyfriend jeans for a Friday date night. This classic peplum tank from Anthropologie paired with a blazer or lightweight sweater would be work-friendly yet super chic for weekend trips to the flea market.
2. Leather Skirts: I am all about leather skirts for fall! Opt for a Peter Pan collar blouse and leopard flats for a more corporate look, and try pairing a baggy tee with a statement necklace for a more funky and casual vibe. The Hinge Faux Leather Pintuck Skirt is an affordable option with a length that is work appropriate but still has enough edge to wear on a night out with the girls.
3. Eye-Catching Hair Accessories: My favorite go-to hairstyles are beachy waves and top-knots. No matter what the office dress code calls for, you can always spice up your ‘do with a vintage broach or spiked hair band. Check out Ban.do for endless styles under any budget. I especially love Ban.do’s Odette Crystal Bobbi Pin.
4. Dark Plum: I am loving a deep wine lip for fall. Keep your eyes, cheeks and hair understated with wine lips for an ultra chic office-friendly look. Make sure to choose the right color for your skin type, if you go too dark, you might err on the side of gothic. I can’t wait to get my hands on this Azealia Banks for MAC Yung Rapunxel lipstick.
5. Printed Pants: If your workplace allows for a more casual dress code, go low-key with a chambray shirt and suede booties. For a more polished look, choose a muted print, throw on a blazer and on-trend pointed flats. I am currently lusting for this pair of printed trousers from Zara.