DIY: Picnic Blanket Reboot
Nothing spoils a pretty picnic than a damp backside. As an avid summer picnicker, I’ve long been on the hunt for the perfect outdoor blanket. I’ve tried everything from thick wool blankets to thin nylon-backed throws, to no avail. Water-resistant picnic throws have come close to satisfying my picnic prerequisites, but tend to slip and slide atop grassy lawns and dry sand. On my quest to find the ideal blanket that would truly repel water and stay where it’s lain, I decided such a blanket does not exist. And so, I took matters into my own hands and created my own.
How to Make the Perfect Picnic Blanket
What You’ll Need:
- Lightweight Blanket
- Plastic Shower Curtain Liner
- Grommet Kit
- U-Shaped Stakes
- Scissors, Pins, Sewing Machine
What You’ll Do:
1. Lay the blanket upside-down so the underside of the blanket is facing up. Lay the shower curtain liner atop the blanket, trimming to size if necessary.
2. Pin the liner to the blanket on all four sides.
3. Sew the liner to the blanket using a zig-zag stitch to prevent ripping.
4. Mark one hole in each of the four corners for grommet placement. Pound in the grommets and washers according to the kit’s directions.
5. Find the perfect patch of grass, lay out your blanket, and each secure corner with a tent stake through the grommet hole.
6. Kick back, relax and enjoy!
Are you a picnic fanatic? Share your fave picnic tips with us in the comments below!